[Mailman-Users] 2 Questions

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Thu Jul 3 18:43:42 CEST 2003

At 02:35 03/07/2003, Peter Russell wrote:
>1. When i setup the mailman box on the private network i used the private
>IP at the hostname etc - now i have gone back in and replaced everywqhere i
>can find with the FQDN

You should only have had to change, in mm_cfg.py, the applicable MM config
variables described in Defaults.py. Typically something like what follows,
at the end of your mm_cfg.py, will do the trick:

DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'your.mailhostname.tld'
DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'your.webhostname.tld'
VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()

Having done that, the $prefix/bin/withlist script $prefix/bin/fix_url.py is
your friend. Just run fix_url.py to get its usage.

If you are using the MM pipermail archiver with HTML archives, you might
also need to run $prefix/bin/arch if there is archived email with
attachments that have been extracted with links to the attachments left in
the email. These links seem to have the web_page_url of the list concerned
at the time the email was added to the archive backed in. Running arch
rebuilds these links.

>  - but still in  responses to mailman-request the
>original private IP appears - see below - where exactly can i change this?
>
>The results of your email command are provided below. Attached is your

You could take a look at $MMbuild/contrib/mm-handler which is a Sendmail
mailer inplemented in Perl which obviates the need for maintaining the list
aliases but subject to some fairly serious constraints.

There is a Python implementation of a Sendmail mailer with the same
constraints as mm_mailer (which are basically Sendmail constraints) but
which is more closely integrated with MM and which, I believe, is a more
robust solution; being the author of it I would think that. See:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=644810&group_id=103&atid=300103

For preference you should use MM 2.1.2 and download the most recent version
of the patch file which matches your MM version: currently
mailer-2.1.2-0.1.patch.gz