[Mailman-Users] Re: Flat Threads when posting using Outlook/Exchange clients

Will Yardley william+mm at hq.newdream.net
Tue Jul 1 01:52:40 CEST 2003

On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 03:56:59PM -0700, Roy Santos wrote:

> I have seen a few postings regarding problems getting
> flat threads while posting using Outlook clients. See
> http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-users@python.org/msg03011.html.
> But what I haven't seen is an answer on how or what
> needs adjusting in MS for making proper threading that
> Netscape, Eudora, Mozilla, etc.

What needs adjusting? Using an MUA which doesn't suck.... I think some
versions of Outlook do generate the proper headers, but I imagine it's
based on version #, as opposed to being a configurable setting. The Mac
version (which is much better behaved in general) does.

> Is there a setting in the Defaults.py or other place to use "Subject"
> instead of "In-Reply-To" or "References"?

I'm pretty sure there isn't. A lot of MUAs can do this; it probably
wouldn't be a bad idea, but could cause unexpected problems (like when
people send messages to the list with generic subject lines).

--
"Since when is skepticism un-American?
Dissent's not treason but they talk like it's the same..."