[Mailman-Users] Nothing gets archived...

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Wed Jan 29 05:11:29 CET 2003

(Please cc me on any replies, as I'm not subscribed to this list.)

I've been using Mailman for a couple years to run several small private,
non-archived mailing lists.  Today, I tried creating a public, archived
mailing list for the first time.  The list mail comes and goes just fine,
but nothing turns up in the archives as far as I can tell.  I googled a bit
but couldn't find anything helpful.  I'm hoping one of the experts here can
steer me quickly in the right direction before a lot of mail messages flow
through unarchived.

Here's my configuration: mailman 2.0.9 built from source running on Mandrake
Linux with (I believe) Python 2.1.1.  (I hesitate a bit there because I have
several versions of Python installed.  The mailman user sees /usr/bin/python
before /usr/local/bin/python though.)  ~mailman is /home/mailman.  The
relevant bits of the archives tree looks like so:

    % ls -lR archives
    archives:
    total 2
    drwxr-s--x   24 skip     mailman      1024 Jan 28 21:44 private/
    drwxrwsr-x    2 skip     mailman      1024 Jan 28 21:46 public/

    archives/private:
    total 22
    drwxrwsr-x    2 skip     mailman      1024 Jan 28 21:44 csv.mbox/

    archives/private/csv.mbox:
    total 0

    archives/public:
    total 0
    lrwxrwxrwx    1 skip     mailman        19 Jan 28 21:44 csv -> ../private/csv.mbox/

I manually renamed archives/public/csv.mbox to archives/public/csv because
the link to the list archives web page is to

    http://manatee.mojam.com/pipermail/csv/

Speaking of which, the Mailman portion of my Apache config file looks like
so:

    ScriptAlias /mailman/ "/home/mailman/cgi-bin/"
    Alias /pipermail/ "/home/mailman/archives/public/"

    <Directory /home/mailman/archives/public>
      Options FollowSymLinks Indexes
    </Directory>

    <Location /mailman>
        SetHandler cgi-script
        Options ExecCGI
    </Location>

The only new bits I added today were the Alias directive and the <Directory>
stuff.  The ScriptAlias directive and <Location> stuff were there before and
work fine.  I can get to http://manatee.mojam.com/pipermail/csv/ just fine,
but there's nothing there.  Do archive messages not get appended immediately
as mail transits the system?

Here's mailman's crontab:

    # At 5PM every day, mail reminders to admins as to pending requests
    0 17 * * * /usr/local/bin/python -S /home/mailman/cron/checkdbs
    #
    # Noon, mail digests for lists that do periodic as well as threshhold delivery.
    0 12 * * * /usr/local/bin/python -S /home/mailman/cron/senddigests
    #
    # 5 AM on the first of each month, mail out password reminders.
    0 5 1 * * /usr/local/bin/python -S /home/mailman/cron/mailpasswds
    #
    # Every 5 mins, try to gate news to mail.  You can comment this one out
    # if you don't want to allow gating, or don't have any going on right now,
    # or want to exclusively use a callback strategy instead of polling.
    #0,5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55 * * * * /usr/local/bin/python -S /home/mailman/cron/gate_news
    #
    # At 3:27am every night, regenerate the gzip'd archive file.  Only
    # turn this on if the internal archiver is used and
    # GZIP_ARCHIVE_TXT_FILES is false in mm_cfg.py
    27 3 * * * /usr/local/bin/python -S /home/mailman/cron/nightly_gzip
    #
    # Retry failed deliveries once per minute.
    * * * * * /usr/local/bin/python -S /home/mailman/cron/qrunner

and the relevant entries in /etc/mail/aliases:

    ## csv mailing list
    ## created: 28-Jan-2003 skip
    csv:                     "|/home/mailman/mail/wrapper post csv"
    csv-admin:               "|/home/mailman/mail/wrapper mailowner csv"
    csv-request:             "|/home/mailman/mail/wrapper mailcmd csv"
    csv-owner:               csv-admin

I didn't dink around with the archive settings.  The archive options are all
defaults: archive messages, archive file source is public, archive date is
when the mail claims and new volumes should be started monthly.

What am I missing?

Thx,

--
Skip Montanaro