[Mailman-Users] archive and .htaccess

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 29 21:58:16 CET 2003

At 18:21 29/01/2003, Simon White wrote:
>29-Jan-03 at 12:11, Justin Georgeson (jgeorgeson at unboundtech.com) wrote :
> > Aha! I just noticed that the archive link from

> > is
> >
> > http://<server>/pipermail/<list>/
> >
> > This may seem odd, and I'd rather not go into detail, but
> > http://<server> and https://<server> are different VirtualHost
> > configurations in my Apache installation. If I type in the same archive
> > URL with a https it works. I saw a post in the archives of this list
> > (mailman-users) earlier this month which seemed to be a similar
> > situation: the URL's are not consistent. Any idea how I correct this?
> > The DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN variable in /var/mailman/Mailman/Defaults.py is
> > set correctly (https://%s/mailman/).

The link to a list on the page generated by £prefix/Mailman/Cgi/listinfo.py
is determined by each list's web_page_url attribute. The value of this
attribute is normally set when the list is created and is based to
DEFAULT_URL or DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN combined with DEFAULT_URL_HOST or
DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN values at that time. Another list attribute set at the
same time is it's host_name attribute which  is set to DEFAULT_HOST_NAME
(or DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST if DEFAULT_HOST_NAME  is not defined). This is used
in setting the link to the archives on the page returned by the
/listinfo/<list> URI.

If you want to change these list attributes for a given list then
£prefix/bin/withlist is your friend. The standard MM 2.1 distribution has
the $prefix/bin/fix_url.py script wto be used in conjunction with
£prefix/bin/withlist to reset a list's web_page_url and host_name. The
values to which web_page_url and host_name are set by fix_url.py depend on
the then current default MM parameters set in $prefix/Mailman/Defaults.py
and $prefix/Mailman/mm_cfg.py and the options you put on the command line
when running fix_url. See the code in fix_url.py for deatils; python is
quite easy to read.