[Mailman-Users] MS Exchange as a relay computer?

Ralf Hildebrandt Ralf.Hildebrandt at charite.de
Wed Jan 29 07:56:45 CET 2003

* John A. Martin <jam at jamux.com>:

> IIRC 50 was chosen as the default_destination_recipient_limit default
> because too many mailers balk or choke on more.  Do you remember
> differently?  Or, do you actually see many SMTP listeners willing to
> swallow 10,000 recipients?

Doesn't really matter. If Postfix gets a 554 too many recipients after
the 501st recipient, it will deliver for these 500 recipients, and
will retry 501...end in the next try.

>     Ralf> And on the receiving side Postfix's smtpd accepts 1000
>     Ralf> recipients.  Which should be increased for a mailing list
>     Ralf> server as well if you inject via SMTP (which is fastest!)
>
> FWIW, in unfamiliar surroundings I would be inclined to use
>
>         SMTP_MAX_RCPTS = 1000
>
> in Mailman/mm_cfg.py, double the 500 in Mailman/Defaults.py, as a
> starting value before tweaking the Postfix limits.

That's probably safe.

--
Ralf Hildebrandt (Im Auftrag des Referat V a)   Ralf.Hildebrandt at charite.de
Charite Campus Mitte                            Tel.  +49 (0)30-450 570-155