[Mailman-Users] domain restriction or wish list

Richard Barrett R.Barrett at ftel.co.uk
Fri Jan 24 19:11:00 CET 2003

At 16:22 24/01/2003, Dave  Stern - Former Rocket Scientist wrote:
>Is it possible to have a list that's only partially restricted?
>Specifically, I'd like a list that only people within our domain
>could post to.
>
>If this is not possible, then consider this for the next iteration
>of the mailman v2.x wishlist
>

>  =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-  generated by /dev/dave
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>  David Stern                                            University of
> Maryland
>                 Institute for Advanced Computer Studies

Setting about this rather depends on whether acceptable and unacceptable
posters are going to be members or non-members of the list.

I would think that a judicious regex in one of the
hold/discard/reject_these_nonmembers field on the web
Privacy Options->[Sender filters] page could partially solve the problem:

For instance, I think this regex will only match, and hence cause to
discard, mail from non-members whose addresses in domains other than
'your.domain.com':

     ^.*?@(?!your\.domain\.com$)'

But this would still allow posting by members of the list who are from
outside 'your.domain.com', which might also want to achieve.

Setting moderation for those not-in-your-domain-but-members-of-the-list to
On and setting member_moderation_action to hold/discard/reject should allow
a list which can have a mixed population but can only be posted to by
people in your domain, whether they are members or not.