[Mailman-Users] implicit addressing

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Wed Jan 22 23:36:21 CET 2003

Hmmm... That sounds like an unending email circle.

How about this:
 - redirect the alias for the new Mailman list to the current list.
 - create a second unadvertised alias and point that at the Mailman list
 - subscribe this second unadvertised alias to the current list
 - as you delete them from the current list, add them to the Mailman
list

That should get you what you want.

All requests (using the current list name and the new Mailman list name)
go to the current list where it gets sent to any folks still on the old
list and then sent to any folks who have been moved over to the Mailman
list.  Once everyone is moved over, then you simply remove the redirect
from the Mailman list (replacing the unadvertised alias with the real
alias) and all is well.

For this to work you will will still need to take care of the implicit
destination problem.  Configure your Mailman list to either,

allow non-explicit destinations (the name of the mailing list does not
appear in the To: field or the CC: field of the email).

  Under Privacy Options in the Web-admin:
     Must posts have list named in destination (to, cc)
     field (or be among the acceptable alias names,
     specified below == No

or fill in the names of the current list and the second unadvertised
list as acceptable aliases for this Mailman list

   Under Privacy Options in the Web-admin:
      Alias names (regexps) which qualify as explicit to
      or cc destination names for this list

Hope this wasn't too confusing! -- Jon Carnes