[Mailman-Users] dumping a large list to a file

Scott R. Every scott at blast.com
Wed Jan 22 22:07:27 CET 2003

I have a list with upwards of 600K emails on it.  Many of the addresses on
the list have the nomail bit set, yet when I use 'list_members' there seems
to be no way to get only the valid emails(ie no nomail emails listed)

I have a customer who needs to split this list into X number of pieces in
order to send different content to each piece of the list.  The problem is
when we work from the file that 'list_members' outputs, mailman spins its
wheels trying to deliver mail to the nomail addresses(most of which are not
valid addresses) and it slows things way down because the mail server has
to deal with all these bounces.

I have also tried using the dumpdb tool, but it takes upward of 8 hours to
dump the whole db which is far too slow.

Is anyone using segmented lists with mailman?
has anyone figured out a way to get just the good email addresses out of
the mailman db?

any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Scott R. Every   mailto:scott at blast.com