[Mailman-Users] Help with a regular expression

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.demon.co.uk
Sat Jan 18 20:15:31 CET 2003

At 14:46 18/01/2003, Greg Westin wrote:
>I think what you want to do to fix this is add a carat ("^") before the
>first slash:
>
>That way, it only catches it if "/mailman" occurs at the beginning of
>the string.
>
>Personally, I use a little more inclusive regular expression, because I
>want it to also redirect any requests for the top level
>(http://lists.example.com) to the listinfo page:
>     RewriteRule ^[/]{0,1}(mailman[/]{0,1}){0,1}$    /mailman/listinfo
>[L,R]

What's wrong with:

     RedirectMatch permanent ^/mailman(|/)$ /mailman/listinfo

or, if you have mod_rewrite and the rewrite engine on:

     RewriteRule ^/mailman(|/)$ /mailman/listinfo [R,L]

or even better:

     RewriteRule ^/mailman(|/)$ /mailman/listinfo [PT]

The latter has the advantage, courtesy of the PT flag, of delivering the
/mailman/listinfo page immediately instead of making the browser do a
second request (each time it visits) to follow the redirection response
produced by the initial request, if that request's URI path was /mailman or
/mailman/