[Mailman-Users] sending personalized HTML?

NOW Website Coordinator webperson at now.org
Thu Jan 9 06:11:49 CET 2003

I'm trying to send some HTML email (yes, I know it's evil but that's how we
want to send some stuff) and I'd like to personalize it (really to make it
easier for people to unsubscribe with a personalized link).

I can throw my whole message in the header or the footer, and it works...
in Eudora.  Since so many people use Outlook, I'd like to get it to work
with Outlook.  It seems that Eudora will take a message with Content-type:
plain that really has a body with  <HTML> .... </HTML> and display it
fine.  Outlook just displays the HTML as text.  Even if I send Mailman a
message (to trigger the sending of the header/footers) with the following
headers embedded in:

it just changes it to multipart and Outlook puts the HTML footer as an
attachment.

The personalization in the header works fine -- in Eudora (and in Outlook,
but it just is HTML code).

If I personalize the header but leave it as text and add in extra
Content-type headers as listed above, Outlook puts the header as a text
attachment and shows the Content-type lines in the body -- with the HTML
showing up fine in the body

As far as I can tell, the only way to personalize is still in the
header/footers -- yes?

Has anyone else come up with a way to send HTML in the headers and footers
to clients like Outlook?  I'm able to send HTML email in the normal body of
the message

Also, but not as importantly, is there any way to send a "invite" message
in HTML?

Sarah Stapleton-Gray
Web Site Coordinator
National Organization for Women