[Mailman-Users] Re: RFE

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Wed Jan 8 20:09:45 CET 2003

On Wednesday, January 8, 2003, at 10:54  AM, Larry Rosenman wrote:

>>> The import facility is critical to delivering targeted content
>>> within the
>>> message distribution.

>> But that is not, IMHO, what Mailman is designed to do.
>>
>> What you are talking about is a bulk mailer ... not a mailing list
>> system.
>>

> THANK YOU.

They're correct. Don't use a hammer to fasten screws.

We run one of the larger mailman installs out there (behind
sourceforge, but I'm not sure there are many others larger). I also run
a hunk o' my company's e-marketing operations. When we needed systems
for that, which require a much different user interface than discussion
lists do, I wrote custom systems. Mailman really isn't something yous
hould try to wedge into that round hole, and I don't think it makes
sense to try to use it as the backend...

--
Chuq Von Rospach, Architech
chuqui at plaidworks.com -- http://www.plaidworks.com/chuqui/blog/

Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh
nervously and change the subject.

--
Chuq Von Rospach, Architech
chuqui at plaidworks.com -- http://www.plaidworks.com/chuqui/blog/

But when that last guitar's been packed away
You know that I still want to play
So just make sure you got it all set to go
Before you come for my piano