[Mailman-Users] mm2.1 cookie problem?

Bryan Fullerton bryanf at samurai.com
Tue Jan 7 02:03:14 CET 2003

On Monday, January 6, 2003, at 07:42 PM, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

> Very interesting.  I wonder if this could be some Apache bug or other?
> We're running 1.3.27 on python.org so I don't have direct experience
> with this bug on Apache 2.0

Sorry, any references to 2.0 are Mailman - I'm using Apache 1.3.27 too.

> The colons did cause problems with Python's Cookie.py, as that module
> stood back in Oct 2001.  I think the change was made when we zapped
> Mailman's own copy of Cookie.py for the one in Python's standard
> library.  Sure, there could be a bug there, although I haven't seen
> any other reports of problems.

Yeah, I figured it would've been noticed by a bunch of other people if
it was in the Python libs. :)

> Mailman crafts the key used to look up the cookie data (essentially a
> dictionary), by using the list's internal name, `+', and an
> "authcontext", which for the admin screens is `admin'.

Is there any limit to the length of the list-name variables or the
comparisons? Is there any other way a cookie request for
"trawler-world-list-help" would return the cookie for
"trawler-world-list"? Is -help a 'reserved' extension like -request or
-admin? (I looked for '-help' in Mailman/* and didn't find anything,
but..)

>     BF> I suspect that my list-owner using IE on WinME didn't really
>     BF> need to reboot
>
> LOL!

Well, you know, not to admin the list. ;)

> Okay.  Also, what version of Python are you using?  I've seen the
> problem with Python 2.1.3, but I don't recall seeing it since I've
> upgraded python.org's Mailman 2.1 to run on Python 2.2.2.

I'm using Python 2.2.2, compiled from the FreeBSD port (port version
python-2.2.2_2, installed December 1st).

Bryan