[Mailman-Users] upgrade: 2.0.13 to 2.1, searchable archives?

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.demon.co.uk
Sat Jan 4 00:43:53 CET 2003

At 21:03 03/01/2003, Jeff A. Earickson wrote:
>Howdy,
>
>I successfully upgraded from 2.0.13 to 2.1 today, with minimal fuss
>and pain.  Some comments:
>
>a) I can no longer get sync_members to work.  It always gives the
>following error:
>
>    Traceback (most recent call last):
>      File "/opt/mailman/bin/sync_members", line 286, in ?
>        main()
>      File "/opt/mailman/bin/sync_members", line 258, in main
>        s = email.Utils.formataddr((name, addr)).encode(enc, 'replace')
>    UnboundLocalError: local variable 'enc' referenced before assignment
>
>I really miss sync_members...
>
>b) The ability to turn off RFC2369 mail headers on a per-list basis
>is a huge win for me, for a few cranky list-owners that hated seeing
>the list management stuff in Eudora.  Thank you, thank you.
>
>c) The ability to turn off subscribe/unsubscribe passwords and/or
>list-owner confirmation on a per-list basis would also be a help.
>After converting from majordomo to Mailman, some of my old list-owners
>hate the password thing, and so are less than happy with Mailman
>(I am however).
>
>Question:  How to I get searchable archives?  Like
>
>http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-users%40python.org/
>
>for my own mailing-list archives?  How come this doesn't come as
>a part of Mailman?

The  www.mail-archive.com  site use the htdig search engine which is
available from http://htdig.org and is also included in several Linux
distributions. However, that site uses the MHonArc archiving software
rather than MM's builtin Pipermail archiver.

One approach to integrating builtin-Pipermail-archiver constructed MM
archives with htdig is to apply the following patches in the order given to
a MM 2.1 build directory:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=661138&group_id=103&atid=300103
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=444879&group_id=103&atid=300103
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=444884&group_id=103&atid=300103

You will find a  comprehensive INSTALL.htdig-mm document is available in
the MM build directory after applying patch #444884

You might also like to check out other options with the MM FAQ:

http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq01.011.htp

Note that the extra #661138 patch needed with MM 2.1 hasn't made it into
the FAQ yet.