[Mailman-Users] Archive and web link problems with 2.1

Barry A. Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Jan 3 05:09:15 CET 2003

    JS> 1. When I go to the private archive for a list at
    JS> http://mcswartz.org.swartz/mailman/private/listname, I see the
---------------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Wow, I wasn't aware that "swartz" was a new TLD. :)

    JS> Is this a problem in Mailman, or is my configuration wrong
    JS> somehow? I installed Mailman 2.1 from source into the default
    JS> location. I'm running RedHat7.3, so this was not the location
    JS> where Mailman 2.0.13 was installed. After everything was
    JS> installed, I moved my lists to the new location (from
    JS> /var/mailman/lists to /usr/local/mailman/lists).

Check your Defaults.py and mm_cfg.py files to see if things like
PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_URL make sense.

    JS> 2. I'm not sure if this is a problem or is as intended. I am
    JS> running a small personal network. My server computer, which
    JS> runs sendmail and apache, is inside my network and behind my
    JS> firewall/router. Because of this, I need have aliases set up
    JS> that allow me to access my webpages.  That means that although
    JS> my real site is www.mcswartz.org, I access it internally as
    JS> mcswartz.org.swartz (as I showed above).

Ah.

    JS> My problem is that on some of the administration pages, some
    JS> links link to http://mcswartz.org.swartz/mailman/... and
    JS> other's link to http://www.mcswartz.org/mailman/...

    JS> For example, from
    JS> http://mcswartz.org.swartz/mailman/admin/listname/members, I
    JS> can access all of the "configuration categories" correctly,
    JS> but I cannot "Go to list archives". Even more annoying, I can
    JS> only see the A's that are subscribed to my list because all of
    JS> the other letters link to the www.mcswartz.org URLs, which I
    JS> cannot access internally.

I don't think Mailman's gong to work to well this way.  Basically, you
can't give lists multiple personalities.  You'll probably have to do
some fancy redirections with Apache to make this work.

-Barry