[Mailman-Users] Re: ht://Dig error

Richard Barrett R.Barrett at ftel.co.uk
Thu Feb 27 17:57:32 CET 2003

This problem is discussed to some extent in the INSTALL.htdig-mm under the
heading "htdig Permissions Considerations".

The problem is that the rundig process ends up trying to generate some
shareable (across the entire intallation) db files in htdig's COMMON_DIR.
If rundig is first run by the root user then the files are created OK. But
running as mailman the shared file generation fails because of access
permissions and is redone (and fails again) each time rundig is run on
behalf of a list by nightly_htdig.

I solved the problem by making /var/www/htdig/common owned by root:mailman
and giving the group write privileges over the directory. If you are
concerned about the security of this then I think you could revert the
privileges over that directory after the db file in common have been
created. Personally, I do not bother.