[Mailman-Users] re: Mailman and Postfix *2*?

Jeremy Butler jbutler at ua.edu
Wed Feb 26 05:18:53 CET 2003

Postfix 2, Mailman, and I were all getting along well . . . until it came
time to set up virtual domains.  I've read through the instructions on it
in Postfix 1, Postfix 2, Mailman, and several Mailman-Users posts; and now
I've gotten myself totally confused.

Can anyone offer me a bit more guidance?

Here's what I'm trying to do:

A single Linux RH8 computer runs Postfix *2*, Mailman 2.1.1, and Apache
1.3.27.  Its main domain name is www.tcf.ua.edu , but it also hosts a
second domain name on a separate IP number:  www.cinemastudies.org .  I
want to run separate Mailman lists on the two domain names.  I also have a
small number of user accounts on www.tcf.ua.edu .

Here's what I've done:

1.  Successfully installed Postfix 2 and gotten it to receive/send mail on
www.tcf.ua.edu .

2.  Successfully created Mailman lists on www.tcf.ua.edu .

Now here's where things get wonky as I attempted to add a virtual domain.

3.  Edited Postfix's /etc/postfix/main.cf by inserting lines from
sample-virtual.cf:

virtual_alias_domains = $virtual_alias_maps

Should this second one be:

virtual_alias_domains =
$virtual_alias_maps,hash:/usr/local/mailman/data/virtual-mailman

4.  Edited /etc/postfix/virtual and put these lines in it to create a
virtual domain of www.cinemastudies.org:

www.cinemastudies.org anything (right-hand content does not matter)
@www.cinemastudies.org                @www.tcf.ua.edu

5.  Ran "postmap /etc/postfix/virtual" to create /etc/postfix/virtual.db.

6.  Added the following to the end of mm_cfg.py:

MTA = 'Postfix'
POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['www.cinemastudies.org']

7.  Ran "/sbin/service postfix restart".

So far, I haven't received anything on my virtual domain
(www.cinemastudies.org).  Any thoughts as to why?

Should myhostname be entered twice--once for the main domain and once for
the virtual one?  Like this:

myhostname = www.tcf.ua.edu
myhostname = www.cinemastudies.org

Should I add anything to:

mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain

Thanks for the help!

>Vivek Khera khera at kcilink.com
>Mon Feb 24 12:19:46 EST 2003
>
>Postfix' "sendmail-style" virtual domains are no longer officially
>documented or supported.
>
>Virtual domains are now specified using two postfix config variables:
>virtual_alias_domains and virtual_alias_maps.  In
>virtual_alias_domains you wan to list the same domains you list in
>Mailman's POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS variable.  virtual_alias_maps
>is the replacement for virtual_maps as Mailman uses it.  Since Mailman
>doesn't set the postfix 'magic' entry to identify a domain to
>virtualize in the maps it generates, it is necessary to list them in
>the virtual_alias_domains variable.
>
>--
>Vivek Khera, Ph.D.                Khera Communications, Inc.
>Internet: khera at kciLink.com       Rockville, MD       +1-240-453-8497
>AIM: vivekkhera Y!: vivek_khera   http://www.khera.org/~vivek/

Jeremy Butler
jbutler at ua.edu