[Mailman-Users] MemoryError in htmlformat.py

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Fri Feb 21 16:54:44 CET 2003

What version of Mailman are you using?  (it looks like one of the 2.1.x
versions).

Hope you have already fixed this by now, but just in case, here is
something you can try.  Look in the data directory for Mailman - this is
where the held messages are stored.  You can actually scan the heldmsg
files manually and delete ones that might be overly large.

cd /usr/local/mailman/data
ls -l

The default message format in version 2.1 is pickle (instead of text),
but you can still easily look at each held message by using the strings
command ("strings" is a utility that used to be loaded by default, if
you don't have it loaded it's very easy to find).

strings heldmsg-b2b-list-1.pck

Deleting the heldmsg's here does not delete them from your lists
"request.db" file, but when you run admindb for the list, that will
compare the heldmsg files to the ones in request.db and then update
request.db (the handling of the request.db file is a lot smarter in
version 2.1 of Mailman).

In other words,once you launch the Web-admindb everything should sync up
and you will just see the messages you left that need approving.  It
*should* work at this point. <assuming that problem was a bad email and
you deleted the bad email>

If not, I recommend removing that lists request.db file:
/usr/local/mailman/lists/b2b-list/request.db

Just rename the file to something else and then try launching the
web-admindb again.

Good Luck - Jon Carnes

======