[Mailman-Users] Word wrap in archives

alex wetmore alex at phred.org
Wed Feb 19 21:35:26 CET 2003

On 19 Feb 2003, Sage wrote:
> My apologies if this has been brought up before, but I do not see any
> answers in the recent archives.
>
> The archive pages for my mailman lists do not automatically wrap the
> text of each message. Since these pages use the <pre> tag to display the
> message, each message consists of several very long lines that extend to
> the right, forcing readers to scroll to the right in order to read the
> message. This is a very big problem since many of my users cannot be
> trusted to use a mail client that wraps the message for them. Can
> mailman not be configured to automatically wrap all incoming messages at
> around 75 characters by itself?
>
> Does anyone have a possible solution to this?

You can use an external archiver that wraps.  I'm not sure if
MHonArc (the most popular external archiver) will wrap or not.
I'm using a homebrewed solution (http://search.bikelist.org) that
does.

There is also some commented out code in stripmime
(http://www.phred.org/~alex/stripmime.html) that wraps lines down
to 75 columns.  I don't remember what problems there might be
in there though, so if you want to use it make sure you test it
yourself.  The code is at lines 322 to 339.

alex