[Mailman-Users] long subjects wrapping in Mailman

Mitchell Marks mitchell at cuip.net
Mon Feb 17 00:47:32 CET 2003

I'm also looking for a fix for this, which we've been having in MM 2.1 and
continuing in 2.1.1.

A couple weeks back, I saw some references to a patch from Tokio Kikuchi
for changing the handling of Subjects, and wonder if that would be relevant
here.  But my impression was that that was just for digests.  The problem
that NOW Coordinator and I are having is particular to nondigest messages
-- not that it can't happen in digests, but it doesn't matter there the
same way.  It's problematic just when the client gives a single-line
display in an overview or mailbox-summary window, and the message Subject
appears truncated to the [list tag].

At 01:39 PM 2/16/03, NOW Website Coordinator wrote:
>When we send out a message with a long subject using Mailman, in some
>mailers the subject wraps on to a second line (thus invisible in the

Our list recipients who use pine or IMHO (a webmail client) as their client
don't see this odd newline problem, but those with Eudora do.  From looking
at my mailbox as plain text, I'm pretty sure the line break is in there,
and the clients that don't have a problem with it are fixing things up nicely.

[...]

>It wraps right after the list name, ie:
>  [now-test-list]
>Here is our too long message subject right here
>
>but is fine with shorter ones:
>[now-test--list] Shorter subject here
>
>Ideas?

We have some cases where one list is subscribed to another, so both insert
their tags.  In such cases the unwanted newline usually comes after the
second tag (which was the first one inserted).  For instance:

    Subject: [Mentors] [Trainees]
      Plans for the upcoming Spring Training sessions beginning in March

I've checked that the list name tag doesn't contain a stray
newline!  (Besides, then the bad break would show up with shorter
Subjects.)   Also I've tried sending messages through with Subject lines
like that (but on one line), including the list tags, and they come through
okay.  So it seems to be connected with the listname tag insertion, and not
a matter of general wrapping being done on Subect lines.

>Thanks.

And thanks from me too,

Mitch Marks

--
Mitchell Marks
CUIP Tech Coordinator    http://cuip.uchicago.edu

Telephone:  Ofc 773-702-6041
         Fax 702-8212
         Home (v.m. only, ok any time) 241-7166
Email: Primary address: mitch at cuip.uchicago.edu
         Alternate UofC addresses (use especially to report problems with
cuip.uchicago.edu): mitchell at cs.uchicago.edu and mmar at midway.uchicago.edu
         Off-campus (ISP) address: mmarks at pobox.com

The incandescent Dawggies
    And the flu-o-rescent Katz