[Mailman-Users] Harvesting addresses

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.demon.co.uk
Sat Feb 15 13:50:06 CET 2003

At 11:38 15/02/2003, Paul Kleeberg wrote:
>I like the way that mailman changes e-mail addresses so that they cannot
>be automatically harvested by spammers, but I am concerned by the fact
>that a lists entire archive can be downloaded.  I want to have an open
>list but I am a bit uncomfortable with allowing the entire archive to be
>retrieved (with intact e-mail addresses) with a single click of the mouse.
>
>Has anyone created a patch to remove the downloadable versions?  Am I just
>being paranoid?
>
>Paul
>--
>Paul Kleeberg
>paul at fpen.org

I quick and simple non-patch fix is to put a rewrite rule into you web
server's httpd.conf that rewrites the URI's of the files you are concerned
about to a polite rejection page. That is what I've opted to do with
RewriteRules like this:

RewriteRule
^(/pipermail/[^/]+)/(pipermail\.pck|htdig(|/[^/]*)|.*\.(txt|txt\.gz))$
$1/unavailable.html [R]
RewriteRule ^(/pipermail/[^/\.]+)\.mbox/ $1/unavailable.html [R]

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean people aren't picking on you.