[Mailman-Users] Mailman help

Matthew Davis matthew.davis at dogpound.vnet.net
Wed Feb 12 03:37:24 CET 2003

* Tommy McPherson (bethannt at optonline.net) wrote:
> Can mailman be used to have a send only - list serve from a computer
> that is not online 24/7 but is on line most of the time?  What is the
> downside to having the computer off line 12 hours or so a day?

Yes.  Check the FAQ.  There is a post-only or newletter style setup in
there.  And not having the mail server off-line 12+ hours will work, but its
inconsiderate to the other mail server admins on the net.  What your doing
is letting mail to be delivered to your host backup on others servers.

But its your call.  If that's all you can do, that's all you can do.  If
your not a high traffic server, it shouldn't be too much trouble.  But some
servers send a bounce message after 4 hours of the message not being
delivered.  So thoes can get annoying if your down 4+ hours at a time.

--
Matthew Davis
http://dogpound.vnet.net/

In computer science, we stand on each other's feet.  - Brian Reid