[Mailman-Users] Removing "To post to this list . . ." from confirmation e-mail

Andy Firman debian at firman.us
Tue Feb 11 08:33:02 CET 2003

On Monday 10 February 2003 22:15, John Hughes wrote:
> I'm trying to set up Mailman to use as a vehicle for distributing a
> newsletter. I don't want anyone to think they can post messages to the list
> address.
>
> I have figured out how to modify the HTML for the public list pages. How do
> I remove the "To post to this list, send your email to..." from the
> registration confirmation e-mail?

Ooohhh.  I know!  Ask me.  :-)

I just spent 2 days setting up a kick-a$$ newsletter for
thousands of people.

First thing is to edit the html page for the general list info page.
Take out the section where it says to post to the list send email
here...etc...  I think you got that covered.

Next edit your footers.  Comment out the second line and say something
like subscribe/unsubscribe here:  and the next line is the main info page
where they go to sign up.  You do this through the admin pages.

Third:  Do NOT send welcome messages.  If you do they will see a comment
on how to post to the list.  You don't want that.  They will just get a simple
conf. message with a number when they sign up.  Try it on a test list.
You will see what I am talking about.  If you want a nice welcome message
then I can't help you out there.

Fourth:  Make it a moderated list AND make it so only members can post.
But if you set it up right NOONE will see how to post.  But if they do then
you will be the moderator and you can kill the post.

Fifth:  Can't remember...its late.  But you will figure it out.  Just study
the admin pages and read every single part of it and you will lock it down.

andy