[Mailman-Users] mass subscribe using script or cut/paste?

Larry Hansford lhansfor at lch-assoc.com
Tue Feb 11 05:36:49 CET 2003

At 11:08 PM 2/10/2003, Andy Firman wrote:

>I have 3,000 emails I need to get into a new Mailman mailing list.
>Do you think I can cut and paste into the admin membership-
>management interface?  I have no clue what it can handle.
>I searched the archives but did not find anything similar to my question.
>
>The box I am using is remote and I only have ssh access to it along
>with the web management page of course.
>I suppose I could use wget, ftp, or maybe scp to get the file
>to the remote box to use the add_members script.  At this time I am not too
>comfortable and confident doing something like that file transfer.
>
>Has anyone pasted that many into the admin membership-management page?
>How did it work?

I've not done that many, but Mailman 2.1.1 a "file upload" option that I
used to incorporate a fairly large list of names.  It didn't seem to have
any problem with the list.  For your own sanity, you may want to break the
list down into several smaller files, and import them one at a time so you
can more easily review the "Error subscribing" list of addresses.   I had
the text file set up with address on a separate line in the format of:

First Last <username at domain.name>

Larry