[Mailman-Users] install question

Matthew Davis matthew.davis at dogpound.vnet.net
Tue Feb 11 05:00:31 CET 2003

* Paul Mozell (paul at mozellstudios.com) wrote:
> Can mailman be installed on a virtual host without root access? I
> don't run my own server, just using a web hosting service. Can't I
> just put it in my cgi-bin?

There are certain commands that root needs to execute.  For example on
when you create the mailing list aliases, root needs to rebuild the aliases
(at least on sendmail you do, no experience with exim and i just installed
postfix so i'm learning it now).

Apache conf files need to be modified as well.  So its not very possiable to
install it without root, but once installed, root isn't needed much.

You can always setup a mailman alias file which sendmail reads from
~mailman which would cut down the root intervention.

But if someone else out there has successfully installed a non-root mailman
installation do let the world know.

> And, how large is the untarred directory?

Stock untarred dirs with no patches/configuration.

mailman 2.0.13
[Mon Feb 10 - 22:57:08] (mailman at dogpound ~/mailman-2.0.13)
$ du -s -c
2200    .
2200    total

mailman 2.1.1
[Mon Feb 10 - 22:56:30] (mailman2 at dogpound ~/mailman-2.1.1)
$ du -s -c
18412   .
18412   total

--
Matthew Davis
http://dogpound.vnet.net/

This is your brain. Postscript on brain your is This.