[Mailman-Users] Trouble getting htdig to work

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.demon.co.uk
Sun Feb 9 22:27:40 CET 2003

At 18:52 09/02/2003, Paul Kleeberg wrote:
>Well it may look like it will be out with the new and in with the old.
>
>What is interesting is that RedHat lists the file as
>htdig-3.2.0-7.20020505 - not a mention of the "beta" term.  Must have been
>a typo by someone with bad eyesight who typed "-7" instead of "b4"  ;-)
>
>Now does that also mean I would have to replace htdig-web since it has the
>same release numbers on the RedHat site as htdig?  (I cannot seem find
>them on the web.)

I'm surprised, given you've installed htdig-web that you htsearch was not
in you server's cgi-bin directory: part of your original problem as I
recollect.

>What is also interesting is that it appears that RedHat used htdig-3.2b3
>and then b4 to index the KDE help files in release 7.1 but not 7.2.  Might
>they have "stabilized" it or is that against the rules without sharing
>that stabilization?  I think I keep playing with it for now.  Haven't gone
>production yet.

Faced with the fact that Redhat have baked in some dependencies to
htdig-3.2 in other packages I would be inclined to leave that in place. I'd
download the htdig 3.1.6 source and build that from scratch into a
different base directoy, say /opt/www/htdig (the default I believe) or
/usr/local/htdig or whatever. Then point the MM config variable
HTDIG_RUNDIG_PATH at the 3.1.6 version of rundig. If you are going to get a
conflict between the htdig-3.2's htsearch in your web server cgi-bin
directory with the the htdig-3.1.6 version then run ./configure in the
htdig-3.1.6 --with-cgi-bin-dir set to some other directory in the server's
tree, ServerRoot/cgi-bin/hdig-3.1.6/ for instance, making sure you set the
appropriate permissions it in httpd.conf. Point the MM config variable
HTDIG_SEARCH_URL at this htsearch. The htdig-3.1.6 should do its stuff for
the mail lists and leave htdig-3.2 to do whatever Redhat intended. Best (or
worst) of both worlds.