[Mailman-Users] Mailman Security.

Richard Barrett R.Barrett at ftel.co.uk
Wed Feb 5 16:35:57 CET 2003

At 11:44 05/02/2003, dino wrote:
>Actually he did it this way:
>
>Noticed that mydomain/mailman was browsable.

What additions did you make to your server's httpd.conf to support running
mailman

>Telneted to port 80 and sent a get request from there...ouch.

In effect like every other request to your server.

>Sorting that now

Re the telnet thing, there is nothing to sort as regards using a telnet
client to connect to a HTTP server.

But, if you are saying you run a telnet server exposed to the internet on
you server, you really should consider switching to running SSH and cease
and desist the telnet server.

This problem is likely to be due to poor setup of your httpd.conf.

>Dino

If your httpd server and httpd.conf setup is sound then it should not be
possible to access the files storing MM's user passwords via the HTTP server.

If you've got a insecure ftp setup on your server then anything is possible
and God or the devil will surely punish you.