[Mailman-Users] Disabling VERP

Richard Barrett R.Barrett at ftel.co.uk
Tue Feb 4 20:23:45 CET 2003

At 18:13 04/02/2003, Tom Maddox wrote:
> > At 00:08 04/02/2003, Tom Maddox wrote:
> > >So, is it possible to disable the VERP functionality in some fashion?  My
> > >users would prefer to have regular From: and Reply-to: headers, not the
> > >irritating VERP ones.  I'm hesitant to make changes to the
> > VERP_FORMAT and
> > >VERP_REGEXP lines in mm_cfg.py without knowing precisely what
> > effect doing
> > >so will have, plus I'm not entirely sure that those are the
> > lines I should
> > >be changing.
> > >
> > >TIA,
> > >
> > >Tom
>
> > You shouldn't need to change VERP_FORMAT and VERP_REGEXP to
> > disable VERP'ing
> >
> > The following variables should disable VERP'ed return addresses:
> >
> > VERP_PASSWORD_REMINDERS = 0
> > VERP_PERSONALIZED_DELIVERIES = 0
> > VERP_DELIVERY_INTERVAL = 0
> > VERP_CONFIRMATIONS = 0
> >
> > If these are set so (installation default ??) then your users
> > shouldn't be
> > seeing VERP'ed return addresses
>
>Good theory, but sadly false.  I didn't configure anything special when I
>upgraded to 2.1, and I'm getting the VERP headers.

Odd because this is exactly the setup I have with MM 2.1 and Mailman does
not send out VERP'ed return address. But it did for a period when I set
VERP_DELIVERY_INTERVAL = 1 to evaluate the performance impact of VERP'ing
(and flush out a few irritating untraceable bouncing mail addresses). When
I changed back to VERP_DELIVERY_INTERVAL = 0, return addresses stopped
being VERP'ed and the outgoing mail started being chunked again.