[Mailman-Users] NOOB !

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Mon Dec 29 03:39:27 CET 2003

On Sun, 2003-12-28 at 20:37, Brendan Pratt wrote:
> Just installed Mailman, and being such a noob, I can't seem to work out how
> to utilise the add_members script correctly.
>
> ./add_members user at address.com listname
>
> It complains that I haven't used one of the -r or -d options, and that's
> where I am not clear as to what filename/paths I should be using.
>
> Could somebody hit me with an appropriately sized 'clue stick' ??  :-)
>
> Thanks.

Usage:
    add_members [options] listname

    --regular-members-file=file
    -r file
        A file containing addresses of the members to be added, one
        address per line.  This list of people become non-digest
        members.  If file is `-', read addresses from stdin.  Note that
        -n/--non-digest-members-file are deprecated synonyms for this
        option.

    --digest-members-file=file
    -d=file
        Similar to above, but these people become digest members.

    --changes-msg=<y|n>
    -c <y|n>
        Set whether or not to send the list members the `there's going
        to be big changes to your list' message. defaults to no.

    --welcome-msg=<y|n>
    -w <y|n>
        Set whether or not to send the list members a welcome message,
        overriding whatever the list's `send_welcome_msg' setting is.

    --admin-notify=<y|n>
    -a <y|n>
        Set whether or not to send the list administrators a
        notification on the success/failure of these subscriptions,
        overriding whatever the list's `admin_notify_mchanges'
        setting is.

    --help
    -h
        Print this help message and exit.

====== Even bigger clue ======

vi list.txt
  emailaddress at domain.com
  another at domain.com
  ernie at sesame.str.org

add_members -r list.txt  mylistname

#adds the three users from list.txt to the mailing list "mylistname".

HtH - Jon Carnes