[Mailman-Users] new trouble with existing lists

backdoc alias2 at crotchett.com
Sun Dec 28 16:29:14 CET 2003

	Problem description:

I can no longer subscribe to or send mail to my lists.

	Here's some detail.

 From the standpoint of being able to use the mailing lists (subscribe,
post messages, etc), the lists had been working for several weeks.
Then, spontaneously, all of the normal list server tasks quit working
except for the web interface.  Attempting to subscribe to a mailing list
results in a page that says a "confirmation has been sent ...".  But, I
never receive that confirmation mail.

I have looked at all of the logs in /mailman/logs to see if I could see
any references to my attempts to subscribe to the list.  But, I do not.
    /var/log/messages does not show any references to Mailman either.

My mail server is Postfix.  It seems to operate normally in every way.

	Some possible clues:

I don't really have any strong suspicions that point to a particular
culprit.  I don't generally muck around with my server except to keep
the installed software up to date via portupgrade.  I don't really
remember if the lists not working coorelates to running portupgrade.
But, I don't think so.

Due to the fact that I own 2 domains and the domain name for the box is
not the same domain name of the list I have created the lists for, there
was a minor issue regarding the wrong URL showing up on the web
interface portion of Mailman.  It was showing the box domain name as
opposed to the list domain name.  The incorrect URL did not appear to
have an adverse affect.  But, it was potentially confusing for users.
So, I made a few attempts to correct it by altering the mm_cfg.py file.
  In spite of some good suggestions here on the mailman-users list, I
never resolved that problem.  Again, I can't associate Mailman breaking
with attempts to fix the URL problem.

	What additional info can I give you to help you help me?

That's about all that I can think of to shed light on the problem.  Not
seeing anything in the log files, I don't really know how to backtrace
the problem?  Even though I don't feel like I broke it by editing the
mm_cfg.py file or running portupgrade, I'm sure that I have somehow
broken it.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

TIA,
Darren