[Mailman-Users] Mailman drops extension of attachment

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Wed Dec 24 01:32:21 CET 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-23 at 12:10, gagel at cnc.bc.ca wrote:
> I tried searching the archives but found nothing about it. I guess my
> search terms were not good enough.
>
> It is not a problem with the mail client. I did debug tracing on the
> clients to see what was being passed before I submitted a bug report.
> The client identifies the attachment correctly as a pdf. The problem
> is that the length of the attachment name seems to be to long for
> mailman to process correctly.
>
> Sending an attachment called:
> "PRESIDENT'S NEWSLETTER NO. 2 - 2003-2004 ACADEMIC December.pdf"
> Results in one called:
> "PRESIDENT'S NEWSLETTER NO. 2 - 2003-2004 ACADEMIC"
>
> The recieving client can still open the missnamed attachment if they
> know what to select as a program to open it with. Its just that the
> extension is missing and that only happens after going through
> mailman. It does not happen if it is sent directly to a user.
>
> ----- Original Message Follows -----

As I recall this is also described in the archives... If my egg-nog
clouded memory can be relied upon, the limit on the file name is
somewhat arbitrary and you can easily hack the source so that it does
not get truncated.

This was also discussed at length in the archives, and the exact code to
modify was clearly identified and tested.  I think it was simply one
line of code.

It might be easier for you to trace down the renaming in the source code
and make the mod yourself, than to find the thread in the archives
(since it was more than a few months ago).

Good Luck - Jon Carnes