[Mailman-Users] Disabling Owner Address Obscuring (not for archives)

Skylos skylos at dogpawz.com
Sun Dec 21 01:26:34 CET 2003

Greetings,

I've been trying to answer this question by researching on the list
archives, web, and code itself, but haven't been able to find the answer.

Question: How do you remove the -owner obfucation of the owner's address
from the page footers?

Actions taken:  Modified Default.py's 'DEFAULT_OBSCURE_ADDRESSES' to 'No'
- Result: no discernable change

Background:

Currently, there is a list on a machine that I administrate.  (debian
packaged mailman 2.1.3)  The list owner desires that when the 'burmese at
furrynevada.org' text is clicked that instead of sending it to
'fnv-owner at furrynevada.org' it goes directly to 'burmese at furrynevada.org'.

At first, I said this is silly, he's just being irrational.  All the
mailman lists do it with the -owner link, don't they?

There are ALOT of mailman lists out there.  So I scanned a sample to find
out if my presumption was true.  Sadly, its not.  I found several that
are displaying as my boss wants his to.

So a variety of versions displaying exactly what I want to say is
impossible.  :/  On the upside, the ones that say what version are lower
versions than mine.

I looked into the code, and from what it appeared to be doing was
substituting into a template eventually utilizing a GetListAddress(owner)
function that never could return anything but 'fnv-owner at furrynevada.org'
per the formatting string.

Huh.

Thoughts?  Do I get to tell my boss NO, YOU CAN'T DO THAT! (I love doing
that) or do I have to say, "you're right, it could be done and I've fixed
it".  (I hate that.)

Thanks for your help, mailman-user peoples!

Skylos

- skylos at doglover.com
- The best part about the internet is nobody knows you're a dog.
  (Peter Stiener, The New Yorker, July 5, 1993)
- Dogs like... TRUCKS!  (Nissan commercial, 1996)
- PGP key: http://dogpawz.com/skylos/mykey.asc