[Mailman-Users] re-creating list archive - old List-Archive problem

Todd Freedom_Lover at pobox.com
Thu Dec 18 00:11:24 CET 2003

Gour wrote:
> Todd (Freedom_Lover at pobox.com) wrote:
[...]
>> All right.  I see now.  When you look at the code for
>> GetBaseArchiveURL(), you see that it inverts the VIRTUAL_HOST
>> dictionary (or is it a list?) and uses emailhost as the key.  So with
>> the emailhost the same for all virtual hosts, the inv dictionary only
>> has one value for the key 'lists.domain.com' and it will be whichever
>> one was returned last in the for loop.  Can you set the virtual hosts
>> up more like this?

>>     VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()
>>     add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST)
>>     add_virtualhost('www.virtualdomain1.com','virtualdomain1.com')
>>     add_virtualhost('www.virtualdomain2.com','virtualdomain2.com')

>> Then use the fix_url script to update the lists and I *think* that
>> will result in the right url getting used for your archives.
>
> YES!! It works. I'd never come to this. Thank you VERY much.

Cool.  Not a problem.  I learned a few things in the process.

> But, can I bet that it's a Mailman bug since I assume that the setup
> which I had, should work?

It might just be more like a mis-feature.  :)

As near as I can tell, the reason the lookup for the urlhost is done
this way is that emailhost is really the only part of that pair that
is stored in the config.pck file.  This could be worked around if
there was also a urlhost value stored there, but I would bet that
Barry and the other Mailman developers do it this way for a reason.
I'd have to go back and look at a config file from the 2.0 days to see
if this has changed from mm2.0 to mm2.1.  I know that the web GUI used
to have a way to edit the web_page_url value and that was removed
because it made it too easy for people to break their lists oh so
conveniently and then it required a site admin to use the command line
to correct it.

I suppose if it really bugs you, you might be able to add a urlhost
value to the config.pck file and then modify the GetBaseArchiveURL()
call to look for it instead of using the current method.  How much
work that might entail or if it would have some unforeseen drawbacks,
I don't know.

- --
The reason we have elected officials is so that we don't have to think
for ourselves.
    -- Homer Simpson