[Mailman-Users] Re: mailmanctl -s

Will Yardley william+mm at hq.newdream.net
Fri Dec 12 21:48:54 CET 2003

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 03:39:24PM -0500, Vivek Khera wrote:
> Will Yardley <william+mm at hq.newdream.net> writes:
>
> > What do most folks do so that Mailman will restart when the system is
> > restarted uncleanly? Could having the system's startup script (assuming
> > a FreeBSD style or SysV style startup script) default to "-s" cause any
> > major problems?

> When the system goes down uncleanly, you *want* manual intervention to
> ensure things are really ok.  Otherwise, why bother even having that
> check in place?

In theory, perhaps. But in reality, what we want is for Mailman to
start.

If the system has been rebooted, it's not possible for any processes to
already be running (before the startup script runs), so it seems fairly
unlikely that any stale locks would be significant.

--
"Since when is skepticism un-American?
Dissent's not treason but they talk like it's the same..."