[Mailman-Users] Re: mailmanctl -s

Will Yardley william+mm at hq.newdream.net
Fri Dec 12 21:37:21 CET 2003

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 03:16:04PM -0500, Todd wrote:
> Will Yardley wrote:

> > When mailmanctl is run with "-s" (supposedly kills stale locks),
> > Mailman spits out the default usage summary, and then "No command
> > given.". Same with "--stale-lock-cleanup". This command also fails
> > to clean up stale locks as advertised.

> AFAIK, you still need to give one of the commands, like stop or
> restart along with the -s option.  How are you calling mailmanctl?
> Forgive me if I'm telling you things you already know.  I just ran
> mailmanctl -s stop and it indeed killed the qrunners as advertised.  I
> didn't do anything to try and ensure that there were stale locks, I
> just wanted to see if I got the same usage message you did.
>
> The usage summary could probably be a little more clear that a command
> is required.

Well the message when Mailman can't start says:

  The master qrunner lock could not be acquired.  It appears as though
  there is a stale master qrunner lock.  Try re-running mailmanctl with
  the -s flag.

In my mind, the logical thing to do would be to run "mailmanctl -s" and
then re-attempt starting Mailman. Your suggestion makes sense, but I
think it would be nice if this were clearer.

What do most folks do so that Mailman will restart when the system is
restarted uncleanly? Could having the system's startup script (assuming
a FreeBSD style or SysV style startup script) default to "-s" cause any
major problems?

--
"Since when is skepticism un-American?
Dissent's not treason but they talk like it's the same..."