[Mailman-Users] public archive not-accessible, private archives are - permissions problem?

Simon White simon at caperet.com
Fri Dec 12 09:25:32 CET 2003

11-Dec-03 at 20:58, Rejo Zenger (subs=mailman-users at rz.xs4all.nl) wrote :
> The box is running Linux 2.4.10, with Exim 4.20, Apache 2.n and Mailman
> 2.1. All is running well. Except for one thing: access to private
> archives available, to public archives denied.

As long as wwwrun is what Apache runs as, the permissions look OK.
Apache error logs should tell you a bit more about what is going on. I'm
not sure that the Alias settings in your httpd.conf are correct because
they aren't necessarily recursive: you have

>     Alias /pipermail/ /usr/lib/mailman/archives/public/
>     <Directory /usr/lib/mailman/>
>       Options FollowSymLinks
>     </Directory>
>     <Directory "/usr/lib/mailman/cgi-bin">
>       AllowOverride None
>       Options None
>       Order allow,deny
>       Allow from all
>     </Directory>
>   </VirtualHost>

What I have:-

    Alias /pipermail/ /usr/local/mailman/archives/public/

    <Directory "/usr/local/mailman/archives/public">
        Options Indexes FollowSymlinks MultiViews
        AllowOverride None
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
    </Directory>

The ScriptAlias part looks OK and I assume that works, so I have cut
that part out.

As for private archives, they are not accessed in the same way, and
should not be accessible if you set the Alias configuration as above.
Access to the private archives is via a cgi-bin script.

--
Simon White. Internet Consultant, Linux/Windows Server Administration.
email, dns and web servers; php javascript perl asp; MySQL MSSQL Access