[Mailman-Users] Postfix won't listen?

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Thu Dec 11 15:26:46 CET 2003

On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 03:36, Rickard Andersson wrote:
> We're pulling our hair out over this one.
> Why can't our newly installed Panther Mailman talk to Postfix?
> Is this a relaying problem? Postfix is set to listen to localhost/127.0.0.1
> of course and we can telnet port 25 and dump mail all we want, no problem.
> This also shows up in mail.log.
>
> But when we add a new list and user, the outgoing qrunner process grabs 100%
> CPU and stays that way indefinitely.
> Mail.log logs nothing that indicates mailman talking to it, but the mailman
> delivery failure log says "delivery to <foo at bar.com> failed with code
> -1:ignore".
> The mailman delivery log says "all recipients refused" and "no address
> associated with nodename".
>
> Anyone have tips on where to start looking?
> More info, screenshots, error logs, DNS data and loose hair provided on
> request  :-)
>
> /Peter Nilsson
> /Rickard Andersson
> /thedumbfvcksatdicom.se

It could very well be a relaying problem - in fact it sounds like a
classic relaying problem of a local user on Postfix (read the
POSTFIX.README that comes with Mailman).

Make sure your Postfix is setup to relay any traffic that is dropped off
at 127.0.0.1, also check your /etc/hosts file:
  127.0.0.1  localhost, localhost.localdomain

Finally, you should check your ~mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py and
Defaults.py files to see what your default host names are set to.

Good Luck - Jon Carnes