[Mailman-Users] The & causing a problem

Simon White simon at caperet.com
Wed Dec 3 20:02:55 CET 2003

03-Dec-03 at 10:08, gagel at cnc.bc.ca (gagel at cnc.bc.ca) wrote :
> I have a list with a & in the name, is this a dis-allowed character in
> the list names?
>
> I have recieved a message back indicating a problem with the use of
> the "&" see below:
> Final-Recipient: rfc822; arts&science-request at avas.cnc.bc.ca
> Action: failed
> Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; Command died with status 127:
> "/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman request arts&science". Command
> output: sh:
> science: command not found mailcmd script, list not found: arts

The & in shell has a special meaning, it would have to be "escaped",
because

cd .. & ls

Means go up a directory then list it. & is a command separator or
something like that. && means execute the command that follows only if
the preceding command executes successfully.

Usernames should be A-Z, a-z, 0-9 and . _ with no other characters being
reliably passed in shell or by MTAs. That probably means list names
should be the same.

+ has a special meaning too, for VERP (variable envelope routing)

Regards,

--
Simon White. Internet Consultant, Linux/Windows Server Administration.
email, dns and web servers; php javascript perl asp; MySQL MSSQL Access