[Mailman-Users] newlist fails when not root user

christmasboy_81 at juno.com christmasboy_81 at juno.com
Sun Aug 31 05:04:24 CEST 2003

bblist at jasmine:~$ newlist
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/mailman/bin/newlist", line 223, in ?
    main()
  File "/usr/lib/mailman/bin/newlist", line 118, in main
    os.setgid(mm_cfg.MAILMAN_GID)
OSError: [Errno 1] Operation not permitted

bblist at jasmine:~$ groups
bblist list

list is GID 38 which is what MAILMAN_GID is.

I'm using Debian Woody (mailman 2.0.11, exim 3.35, python 2.1.3).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I should be able to change my gid from one group that I'm a member of to another? Is there any way to let a normal user create lists?