[Mailman-Users] Re: Footer ?

Will Yardley william+mm at hq.newdream.net
Thu Aug 28 03:23:29 CEST 2003

On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 06:00:53PM -0700, jsmith wrote:
[ Two layers of miserable Lookout! TOFU corrected ]

> > > My "Footers" are being sent to our mailing list participants as
> > > "Attachments" rather than being inserted into the message text.
> > >
> > > Please advise what I setup incorrectly and what I must change to have
> > > the "footer" placed at the bottom of the e-mail message text.

Use demime or stripmime (as per the Mailman FAQ) to strip HTML from the
list, and / or stop sending HTML mail.

> > Don't send html email to the list.  That's most likely why the
> > footer is being appended as an attachment.  Try it with a plain text
> > message and see what happens.

> This is a known problem with Mailman.  I have as well as others have had
> this problem since the first day.  I posted these problems to the list
> with no resolution besides someone saying that I can not used OUTLOOK as
> a mail client or not to send HTML.

This is not a "known problem" with Mailman. When a message has a MIME
attachment, the safest way for Mailman to add the footer is to add it as
an additional plaintext MIME attachment. There's no way for it to safely
add the footer to one of the individual attachments; this would break
PGP/MIME signatures, cause weird problems with multipart/alternative
messages, etc.

If you've really tried sending mail from all these other mailers, why
does THIS message have the footer as part of the message body and not as
an attachment?

--
"Since when is skepticism un-American?
Dissent's not treason but they talk like it's the same..."