[Mailman-Users] mail server recommendations?

Raymond Wood raywood at magma.ca
Thu Aug 28 00:43:54 CEST 2003

On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 12:13:10AM +0200, Brad Knowles imagined:
> At 2:21 PM -0700 2003/08/27, Aviram Carmi wrote:
> > If I am to make changes to sendmail might as well install another
> > server which will be better/easier for me as a non-admin person to
> > use/configure/maintain.
>
> 	[ ... deletia ... ]
>
> > Any recommendations/suggestions?
> >
> > Should I even bother to replace sendmail?
>
> Sendmail is quite capable of doing the job.  However, many people
> find it difficult to configure and manage.

I tend to agree.  Feature-wise, Sendmail is still the most
powerful MTA AFAICT, but most people can make their lives easier
by choosing a less complex one, like Postfix or Exim.

Cross Smail off your list; it is way old, and possibly obsolete.
Qmail has fanatical devotees, but is not a 'drop-in' replacement
for Sendmail, and also has a 'non-free' license.  I'd cross them
both off your list.  YMMV.

> For smaller sites, or sites wishing to have a simpler
> configuration file, I find that postfix generally works very
> well.  It has one of the simplest configuration files that I
> have ever seen, and comes configured out-of-the-box to be just
> about the perfect MTA for a mailing list.

Postfix is also designed, like Qmail, from the ground up with
security in mind.  I'm told the source-code is a joy to look at,
but don't quote me on that as I'm no authority  :-)

> I've also heard good things about Exim, but my own
> experiences so far have been less positive with it than with
> postfix.  Note that Exim is not designed to be a drop-in
> replacement for sendmail, whereas postfix works very hard to
> function correctly in this role.

I think you want to double-check this; you may be thinking of
Qmail here.  AFAIK Exim, like Postfix, is structured to be a
drop-in replacement for Sendmail, but verify this for yourself.

> 	If you'd like to learn more about postfix, you may want to
> 	check out the article at
> <http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/08/25/1125223&mode=thread&tid=126&tid=172&tid=95>,
> and read the pages that they link to.
>

> 	You should also read the Mailman FAQ, question 4.2 "Which MTA
> should I use with Mailman?", at
> <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.002.htp>.

FWIW I use both Exim and Postfix, and they both work fine.  If I
were to set up a new server right now, I'd go with Postfix.  I
just wish it had Exim's license  ;)

Have Fun,
Raymond
--
"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the
homeless, whether the mad destruction is brought under the name