[Mailman-Users] Mailman / Sendmail horribly slow performance.. suggestions please?!?

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Mon Aug 25 08:56:57 CEST 2003

On Monday, August 25, 2003, at 04:59  am, Andrew Falgout wrote:

> Sendmail usually delivers regular mail on an almost instant basis.
> What
> I'm getting it a feel that qrunner is not passing the mails from the
> qfiles directory for sendmail to deliver.
If the qrunner is executing then it is trying to do just that. Can you
see a qrunner instance when you run ps?
> The machine in question has
> around 15k uses on it, and they have almost instant mail delivery
> through
> sendmail for regular mail.  When a mail comes to the list through
> sendmail
> initially, it gets delivered through the mqueue for sendmail and is
> posted
> to the qfiles of mm almost instantly.  However that is where the holdup
> is.  Qrunner doesn't seem to be dealing with these files well at all.
Or it could be that the MTA is not accepting outgoing mail from MM with
the same alacrity with which it delivers it.

> They are sitting in the qfiles directory and are being delivered or
> sent
> out at a rate of 1-2 per minute.
>
> I don't see an smtp-failure log to check.  If there are any features
> for
> debugging I can turn on in MM please let me know.  Lock logging is the
> only thing I could find initially.
Although you do not say so, I have the impression that you have spotted
nothing unusual in MM's $prefix/logs/error log and SMTP outbound
traffic is not failing as nothing is making it into the
$prefix/logs/smtp-failure log. Again you did not confimr this but I
assume that the local MTA is acting as the outgoing SMTP server for
Mailman?

If, when the qrunner is started by cron each minute, the new instance
finds that an earlier incarnation is still running, the new instance
logs it could not get the lock and exits. So logging about being unable
to get the qrunner lock is not necessarily that unusual.

Do the log entries in the smtp log give any indication of it taking a
long time for MM to pass each outgoing messages to the MTA via
SMTPDirect. The log entries should show the time taken to get each post
out.

You can get extra detail logged to the MM $prefix/logs/smtp log about
the progress of delivery by MM to the MTA via SMTPDirect by removing
some comments on lines in the file
$prefix/Mailman/Handlers/SMTPDirect.py. There is a function near the
end called 'deliver' (this is the last function def'ed in the file) and
in it there are four lines commented out with ## as the first two
characters. Take a copy of this file as backup and delete the leading
hash characters. This will not take with any running instance of the
qrunner which you may have to kill.

This smtp log should now show more sub-transactions of the overall SMTP
handoff for any given piece of outgoing mail.

> On Sun, 24 Aug 2003, Richard Barrett wrote:
>

>> On Sunday, August 24, 2003, at 12:51  am, Andrew Falgout wrote:
>>
>>> I'm currently running mailman-2.0.13-1 eith sendmail-8.11.6-25.72.
>>> Posts
>>> are processed very fast, but delivery is more than slow.  It takes
>>> 1-2
>>> minutes per post to delivery mail.  Evaluating what is going on in
>>> the
>>> queue is a little more than cumbersome.  Over the course of 3-4 days
>>> mails
>>> have been piling up in the qfiles directory to the tune of 4000 mails
>>> and
>>> waiting.  There are mails 3 days old waiting to go out.  I'm looking