[Mailman-Users] compiling error

Richard Barrett r.barrett at ftel.co.uk
Sat Aug 23 14:32:10 CEST 2003

On Wednesday, August 20, 2003, at 08:59  pm, Con wrote:

> Hello
>
> I'm installing this on a Solaris9 box and have tried multiple versions
> and and sources of pyhton and I still get this:
>
> Compiling /usr/local/mailman/Mailman/versions.py ...
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "bin/update", line 47, in ?
>     from Mailman import Utils
>   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Utils.py", line 35, in ?
>     import cgi
>   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.2/cgi.py", line 39, in ?
>     import urllib
>   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.2/urllib.py", line 26, in ?
>     import socket
>   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.2/socket.py", line 41, in ?
>     from _socket import *
> ImportError: No module named _socket
> make: *** [update] Error 1

This may indicate something is wrong with your Python installation. It
certainly is not a Mailman problem per se as the socket module being
imported is a standard Python module.

Do you get the same error if you run python from the command line and
enter the 'import socket' statement on the Python CLI?

The following may be applicable:

http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-users@python.org/msg14773.html