[Mailman-Users] disguising e-mail addresses in archive

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Thu Aug 21 18:17:13 CEST 2003

Jon Carnes explained:

> There are a couple, but none of them work great.  I have used a small 4
> line script to hide the addresses in some archives.
>
> IMO, the best method is to allow concerned users to sign up on a private
> list to have their email addresses expunged from the archives (and
> provide the alternative they want). Then you simply grep through the
> archives directory for their exact email address and replace that with
> the alternative. The "sed" command will do the job nicely

I was afraid you would say that.  I have found a temporary solution which is to
tell people that as a matter of policy I will not edit archives but they can
solve their problem by:

a) doing software development necessary to make a publishable patch to the
archiver.  They or their designated agent write the code and test it, I will
verify testing and advocate inclusion of the patch in the project.

b) take over some of my open source development work (camram) and I will do the
archiver modifications for them.

funny how I never hear anything back... ;-)

---eric