[Mailman-Users] Loop with spoof

Simon L. Jackson simon.jackson at corpita.net
Tue Aug 19 01:59:55 CEST 2003

Dear Mailmaners,

I recently found a loop when (I think) someone sent an email with a spoofed
from/reply-to address.

This appeared to be achieved by sending email to somelist at somedomain from
somelist-bounces at somedomain.

We are using Postfix, and have the following Mailman aliases and virtual
addresses set up:

Aliases:
somelist-bounces: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman bounces somelist"

Virtual:
somelist-bounces at somedomain somelist-bounces

In the end I turned off 'Send mail to poster when their posting is held for
approval' and deleted the offending files from the
/usr/local/mailman/qfiles/out directory.

My questions are:

1. Is this loop an error in my configuration or a bug or oversight in mailman?

2. Is there a way of getting a list of messages in transit and if necessary
deleting them. This mail had not yet arrived at the pending requests stage.

Cheers

Simon L. Jackson
Corpita Pty Ltd
Level 1