[Mailman-Users] Evolution, GPG, and mailman 2.1.2 - blank message bodies

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu Aug 14 19:02:01 CEST 2003

Hello.

I feel like this must be an F.A.Q. but I could find no mention of it in
the searchable archives or the FAQ-O-Matic.

Anyway, it seems that evolution has a bug in message display that
affects GPG-signed email sent to mailman 2.1.x lists (when the GPG
signature uses PGP/MIME).  Mailman adds the list's signature as a MIME
attachment, and for some reason evolution shows ONLY the list signature,
and not the body of the message at all!

This is apparently fixed in Evolution 1.4.3, but unfortunately a large
number of our users are using prior versions of evolution, like 1.2.2
that's included in Red Hat Linux 9.  I suspect this is true of many
users around the community.  Though this is an evolution bug, most of
our users are seeing it as a "mailman problem," because suddenly they
cannot view their messages after we upgraded to mailman 2.1.x.

Does anyone have any ideas or workarounds?  Is there any way to make
mailman 2.1.2 go back to the old behavior that doesn't use MIME to add
the signature (or just skips it for MIME messages) ?

Note:  I've also heard that Outlook Express has a similar problem
reading GPG-signed emails with evolution's MIME-added signature, so this
isn't really uniquely an evolution problem.  But Outlook Express handles
GPG pretty pitifully anyway, so I'm not worrying about that.

Thanks for any advice,

Jeremy

| Jeremy Portzer       jeremyp at pobox.com       trilug.org/~jeremy     |