[Mailman-Users] Access problem..

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Wed Aug 13 15:16:07 CEST 2003

On Wednesday, August 13, 2003, at 01:58  pm, Anders Norrbring wrote:

> Richard,
>
> You were absolutely right.  There was an error in the uid/gid
> mappings.  But
> I believe that's out of the way now since now I get other errors.
> *sigh*  It
> never ends!  Maybe I'd kill the .rpm install and do one from scratch
> instead.

My personal preferences are to install Mailman from source. It really
is very straightforward and the number of support request to the list
related to screwed up pre-packaged installs for various Linux flavours
is quite high.

The other advantage is that adding enhancement patches (such as htdig
list search intergration), bug fix patches and future upgrades is so
much easier with a source install. No  waiting for the Linux
distribution Mailman packager to screw up the upgrade or enhancement
for you.

If you are just starting and haven't got an investment in real use/data
then switch to the MM source installation before it is too late.

I do not know what version of Python you have installed. Python 2.2.3
would be good. I've not seen final confirmation about using Python 2.3
with MM 2.1.2

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/lib/mailman/cron/gate_news", line 40, in ?
>     from Mailman import MailList
>   File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 36, in ?
>     from Mailman import Utils
>   File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Utils.py", line 45, in ?
>     from Mailman import Crypt
>   File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Crypt.py", line 19, in ?
>     if mm_cfg.USE_CRYPT:
> AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'USE_CRYPT'

I didn't ask what version of MM you had installed but this doesn't look
like it is from the latest stable 2.1.2 release code; there is no
Mailman.Crypt module in that. Another good reason for canning the RPM
and going with a source install!

> And then in next mess I get:
>
> /usr/bin/python: can't open file '/usr/lib/mailman/cron/senddigests'
>
> And:
>
> /usr/bin/python: can't open file '/usr/lib/mailman/cron/gate_news'

Nothing more to contribute.