[Mailman-Users]HandlerAPE error: WAS :Listserv wide announcements?

Bruce Mitzit bruce at uchicago.edu
Wed Aug 13 06:44:54 CEST 2003

Hey, Richard--

>I know it is a bit obvious but you have used the crontab command to
>double check that the old Mailman crontab is still not extant and
>being executed on behalf of some user or another.

Yeh, it is and I did that...blixxed whatever mailman might have had
with "# crontab -r mailman", edited out of root's cron the mailman
stuff.

>If it were me trying to do what you suggest, I would;
>
>1. rename the current /usr/local/mailman and take a backup of it
>
>2. mkdir /usr/local/mailman
>
>3. use mv to put /usr/local/mailman.old/lists and
>/usr/local/mailman.old/archives to /usr/local/mailman
>
>4. ./configure and make install MM 2.1.2 into /usr/local/mailman
>
>5. crank up the new MM install per the INSTALL file

I did that too, more or less. Started it up with total confidence but
continued getting the error messages. I couldn't figure out where
this cron job is...nowhere I put it. Checked the account of a former
assistant capable of knowing what a cron is. Nothing there. Did a
"find / -user mailman -name cron*" Interesting hit was an old Mailman
2.0.13 install directory in /usr/src (assistant's work. I'd have put
in /tmp). No reason to have it, rm -R'd it. Error messages stopped.
Not yet using this new better-behaved iteration with entire
confidence. We'll see. Thanks for prodding me in the right direction.

Bruce