[Mailman-Users] Modifying held posts feature

Adam Boettiger boettiger at pobox.com
Tue Aug 12 18:26:29 CEST 2003

I'm using mailman 2.1.2

As I recall in the archives of last year there was a post about a patch that
could be installed in 2.0 that would allow moderators and admins to modify
held posts.  I'm wondering if this feature or patch has become a permanent
addition to 2.1.2 or if there are plans to include it in the next upgrade?

Also, I am new to Python so excuse the ignorant question, but how does one
install a patch?  Is there a document somewhere that explains it in layman's
terms?  And, if I install this patch, will I need to kill and then recreate
my mailing list or regenerate it?

Finally, I see by reading the archives that one can modify the held posts
directly by modifying the file in /mailman/data . I tried this once using
BBEdit and FTP and got an error when I tried to approve the post.  Any
suggestions on the best way to modify a file on the server and what parts of
it I should stay away from or what file type it needs to be saved as?

- Sorry for so many newbie questions.  Thanks in advance for any insight.
The modify held posts is a really critical feature for me, so I'd like to
get it working.

AB