[Mailman-Users] Re: Hotmail and Yahoo sending mail straight to junk folders

Paul H Byerly paul at thcwd.com
Mon Aug 11 18:54:59 CEST 2003

Angel Gabriel wrote:
>It seems that hotmail and yahoo are sending mail from mailman straight
>to junk folders, this is REAL bad, especially because it's possible to
>delete junk folders without actually looking in them.
>
>Why is this, is this because there is a bulk mail setting in the mail
>header? If so, how can I stop this being written into the mail?

      In my tests this only happens with HotMail when "Hide the sender of a
message, replacing it with the list address (Removes From, Sender and
Reply-To fields)" on the General Options list administration page is set to
"yes".

      Yahoo uses a bulk mail folder for this, and the first time a bulk
mail is received a message about the folder is sent to the in box.

      Removing the bulk mail header would be false advertising of what the
mail is, and that is a good way to get labeled as spam and end up on some
blacklist.  I hate spam more than the next guy, but we are starting to see
an over the top, shoot first ask questions later mentality that is making
it hard for anyone running any list.  Usually the ISP could care less about
a list owner, so you have to get the folks who use the service to complain.

      At some point I want to write a "why I'm not getting my list mail"
page with info on the most common problems.  When I get it done I'll let
folks here know.

<>< Paul