[Mailman-Users] I can't get my mail list to work

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Mon Aug 11 02:14:17 CEST 2003

On Sun, Aug 10, 2003 at 09:35:55AM -0500, Rick Cheney wrote:
> association and our web host, webmanix.com, is not very helpful.  We cannot
> the mailing list to work.  The mailing list
> Test_hcmcnurses at synedyne.appliednetworkservices.net does not work. When I
> create a mailing list I get the text below.  I didn't find an option on the
> Control Panel for editing the etc/aliases or running 'newalises'.  I tried
> making folders named etc/aliases and adding a text file named text.txt to
> that folder with the information below, but it did not work.

newaliases needs to be run by your mail host. It's not a mailman
function - it's dependent on the MTA.

> The mailing list test on hcmcnurses.org with password test was sucessfully
> created.
>
> To finish creating your mailing list, you must edit your /etc/aliases (or
> equivalent) file by adding the following lines, and possibly running the
> `newaliases' program:
>
> ## test_hcmcnurses.org mailing list
> test_hcmcnurses.org:
> "|/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/mail/mailman post test_hcmcnurses.org"

Something's quite broken since it's combining your list name with your
host name.  test_hcmcnurses.org isn't a valid DNS name.

It looks like webmanix doesn't have mailman configured properly.  If
they're not going to help you with this, then you may need to find a
different mailman host.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org